Non-Profit COVID-19 Support
This page includes resources, tools and articles providing non-profit COVID-19 support. Please get in contact to add a resource.
Bow Valley Non-Profit COVID-19 Resources
- Town of Banff – COVID-19 Information
- Town of Canmore – COVID-19 Information
- Banff Health Inspector Kori.Woodard@albertahealthservices.ca or 403.762.3517
- Bow Valley We’re In This Together Funding – keeping residents fed, sheltered, safe and connected, especially vulnerable residents. –Making a difference – Banff Canmore Community Foundation (banffcanmorecf.org)
- Calgary Foundation Pandemic Recovery Program – A new fund for Calgary and area’s charitable sector to support individuals and communities for Relief, Recovery, and Resilience.
Non-Profits COVID-19 Support
- The Small and Medium Enterprise Relaunch Grant offers financial assistance to Alberta businesses, cooperatives, and non-profit organizations that were ordered to close or curtail operations, and that experienced a revenue reduction of at least 40%, as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy covers a portion of an employee’s wages for eligible employers. The wage subsidy helps employers keep and re-hire employees and avoid layoffs.
- Faith-based and cultural organizations can apply for a new one-time grant of up to $5,000 to help offset the financial costs of following COVID-19 public health measures. Learn more.
- The Premier’s Council on Charities and Civil Society recently released a report outlining ways to advance a sustainable recovery for civil society following the pandemic. The use of the fund will address these recovery opportunities. Moving forward : charting a path to civil society recovery – Open Government (alberta.ca)
- The new Civil Society Fund (CSF) provides $20 million to expand civil society’s capacity to address social problems for Albertans. Of that, $7 million is budgeted for 2020/21 to support civil society’s recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic. Civil Society Fund | Alberta.ca
Alberta Provincial Government Non-Profit COVID-19 Support
- Alberta Government Emergency funding for charities and not-for-profit organizations (Alberta.ca)
- Alberta Corporate Registry Annual Returns suspended. In keeping with public gathering restrictions, deadlines are suspended for corporations, partnerships, cooperatives and non-profit organizations to hold annual general meetings and file their annual returns. These groups will remain active in Alberta, and will not have their corporations, partnerships, cooperatives or non-profit organizations dissolved due to failing to file annual returns.
- AGLC Expands Use of Proceeds – The AGLC announced that charitable groups may expand use of proceeds to maintain key charitable programs while addressing impacts of the crisis. AGLC has also indicated that charities with casinos in Q2 and beyond will keep their place in line.
- Extension on AGMs – Service Alberta has announced that businesses and nonprofits can postpone their AGM for a period of 3+ months, effective immediately and running until the end of June. Check out Edmonton Chamber of Voluntary Organizations (ECVO) for more info, including how to host a virtual AGM.
- Tax Deferrals & Relief – Corporate income tax balances/installments deferred until August 31, 2020; Education property tax deferrals will be frozen at last year’s levels and deferred for 6 months; WCB premium and utility payment deferral. More here
Government of Canada Federal Non-Profit COVID-19 Support
- The Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy– provides a 75% wage subsidy to eligible employers for up to 12 weeks, for those that see a drop of at least 15% of their revenue in March 2020 and 30% for the following months. Info here.
- Canada Emergency Business Account (CEBA) – Nonprofits can qualify for interest-free loans of up to $40,000 if they paid between $20,000 to $1.5 million in total payroll in 2019.
- 10% Temporary Wage Subsidy for Non-Profits– Allows employers to reduce the amount of payroll deductions required to be remitted to the CRA (this program is separate from the 75% Wage Subsidy Program. Info here.
- Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistanceassists charities & nonprofits by providing forgivable loans to property owners to cover 50% of monthly rent payments during April, May & June. More here.
- Other Federal Government support: Deferral of GST
- T3010, T1044 & T2 filing deadline extension
- Deferral of T3010 filling– Not due until Dec 31, 2020, regardless of organization’s normal filing deadline.
- Deferral of T1044 filing – Information returns otherwise due March 18 -31 2020 can be filed on June 1.
- Deferral of T2 filling – Any returns otherwise due between March 18 and May 31 can be filed on June 1.
Organizations Providing Non-Profit COVID-19 Support
- COVID-19 Resources for Nonprofits (Calgary Chamber of Voluntary Organizations Calgary (CCVOC)
- COVID-19 Resources (Calgary Foundation)
- COVID-19 Impact Report (Alberta Non-profits)
- COVID-19 and the Charitable Sector (Imagine Canada)
- Wage Subsidy Q&A – Great Q&A document on wage subsidy & non-profits. Sign-up for a weekly email to keep up to date on nonprofit news including government economic relief for non-profits.
- COVID-19 and Volunteering – Resources (Volunteer Canada) Includes a volunteer covid checklist
- Handbook on Virtual Volunteering
- Resources For Not-for-Profits During COVID-19 (The Vantage Point)
- COVID-19_AGMs During the Pandemic_VC.pdf (Volunteer.ca)
- Virtual AGM guide Virtual AGM Facilitation Guide (The Ontario Non-Profit Network)
- What Nonprofit Board Members Should Be Doing Right Now to Address the COVID-19 Situation. (Board Source)
Tools for Connecting
- Zoom video tutorials (Zoom Help Center)
- How to Keep Uninvited Guests Out of Your Zoom Event (Zoom Blog)
- Learning Resources (TechSoup Canada)
- Web Conferencing 101 for Nonprofits (TechSoup Canada)
- MS Teams free version – Microsoft’s Commitment To Customers During COVID-19 – Microsoft 365 Blog
- What Your Nonprofit Can Do Now to Reduce Risks Relating to COVID-19 (Coronavirus) – Risk Alternatives
- 7 Virtual Charity Event Fundraising Ideas You Can Use To Replace Your Cancelled Event (CanadaHelps)
- No Business Continuity Plan? Take These 4 Steps (Nonprofit Risk Management Center)
- How Communities are Organizing Random Acts of Kindness (Tamarack) – Blog & Online community engagement resources.
- Tips on Engagement on Different Platforms (Tamarack) – Notes about tips on engagement and different platforms.
- Facilitation First – Virtual Facilitation Services & Facilitation Skills Training – Free resource info facilitation of virtual meetings, sign up for e-letter.
Non-Profit COVID-19 Support Resources
- COVID-19 Resources for Nonprofits (calgarycvo.org)
- Lockdown Support for Businesses Facing Significant Public Health Restrictions (Canada.ca)
- COVID-19 Resources (Nonprofit Hub)
- COVID-19 Resources for Nonprofits (INTEGRALORG)
- COVID-19 Nonprofit Resources (The Alberta Council For Global Cooperation)
- COVID-19 resources for the nonprofit and charitable sector (CharityVillage)
- COVID-19 and the Charitable Sector (Imagine Canada)
- COVID-19 collection (MaRS)
- Managing cash flow during COVID-19: Useful resources list (MaRS)
- COVID-19 resources from Canadian nonprofit umbrella groups (CharityVillage)
- A Non-Profit Organization in Canada’s Guide to COVID-19 Governmental Supports and Programs (CanadaHelps)
- How to Save Your Nonprofit From the Financial Downturn (TechSoup Canada)
- COVID 19: How Nonprofits Can Foster Digital Resilience (TechSoup Canada)
- COVID-19: How Nonprofits Can Facilitate Inclusive Online Gatherings (TechSoup Canada)
- COVID-19: How Nonprofits Can Establish Effective Telecommuting Practices (TechSoup Canada)
- Resources to help your nonprofit during the COVID-19 pandemic (TechSoup Canada)