Bow Valley Non-Profit & Community Organization Survey – 2020
Non-profits, charitable groups and community organizations are experiencing destabilization due to the Covid 19 crisis.
In June 2020, the Town of Canmore and the Town of Banff surveyed non-profit and community organizations in the community to gain feedback and better understand the critical needs and challenges so as to better support the sector.
Key themes that emerged from the survey results included:
• Social agencies are struggling to provide services in a meaningful way;
• Cultural organizations are cancelling shows, festivals and classes;
• Recreational facilities were closed and have restrictions in place as they reopen.
• The cancellation of fundraising events, activities, and casinos combined with a loss of funds generated through registration, programming, and event admission lead to an abrupt loss of revenue; and
• More than half have no, to low operating reserve funds and many are ineligible for
government funding so there is low financial stability.
Bow Valley Non-Profit & Community Organization Survey – 2015
The non-profit survey work above was a follow-up to a similar project conducted in 2015. The intent of the ‘Snapshot of Bow Valley Non-profits and Community Groups’ survey was to increase understanding of supports and resources that may be required as well as gaining a “snapshot in time” of the overall health of local non-profits and community groups in terms of current human, financial and operational resources.